Special Orthopedic Focus
- Upper extremity surgery including carpal and cubital tunnel release, trigger finger release, Dupuytren’s contracture release
- General orthopaedic surgery, including knee arthroscopy
- Total joint replacement
- Fracture and trauma surgery
- Internship and Residency at Summa Health System, Akron, Ohio
- Medical Degree from University of Washington, Seattle
Research and Presentations
- “Pediatric Soft-Tissue Sarcomas at Children’s Hospital, Seattle, 1985-95.” Presented at Ohio Orthopaedic Society, 2000 and Mid-America Orthopaedic Association, 2001.
- “Orthopaedics: The State of the Art in Papua New Guinea.” Presented at Summa Health System and Akron Children’s Hospital, Akron, Ohio, 2004.
- “Adverse Events Associated with Anterior Cervical Spine Surgery,” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, December 2008
- Fellow in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Washington State Medical Association
- Lewis County Medical Association
- Washington State Orthopaedics Association
- Diplomate American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Keith R. Birchard, MD
Board Certified Orthopedist
“I am dedicated to providing quality orthopedic care in a compassionate and positive environment.”
“One of the things that attracts me to orthopedics is the challenge of analyzing my patient’s unique symptoms, determining the diagnosis, and then finding the most appropriate treatment that meets the needs of the individual patient.”
Dr. Birchard, his wife Cecilia and their children, Nathaniel, Ezra and Jane, enjoy outdoor activities including bicycling, boating and fishing. Dr. Birchard also enjoys reading and volunteering with the Boy Scouts of America with Troop 373 and Pack 301 in Chehalis.
Dr. Birchard has a special interest in supporting and providing orthopedic care in developing countries. He has participated in medical mission projects in the Dominican Republic, Papua New Guinea, and India. He continues to find ways to actively support quality orthopedic care in the developing world including collecting and shipping surplus medical supplies to Papua New Guinea. Dr. Birchard is accepting patients at our Centralia, Olympia, and Elma clinics.