ASC Receptionist/Surgery Scheduler
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB:
Coordinates and schedules surgery appointments for patients in an efficient and timely manner. Checks in surgery patients and assures all preliminary paperwork, medical clearance and authorizations are completed prior to surgery.
- Coordinates and schedules patients’ surgical appointments, including pre-op & post-op appointments.
- Relays necessary information to appropriate individuals.
- Greets and registers patients in a prompt, pleasant and helpful manner.
- Verifies necessary information and records in the medical record.
- Maintains and updates current information on physician’s surgery schedules.
- Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages on a multiple line phone system.
- Uses overhead paging system for routine and emergency manners.
- Answers questions regarding patient surgical appointments and testing.
- Assembles patients charts and updates patient profiles.
- Organizes and maintains all current and past patient charts.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Prints and routes surgeons schedule for the following day, advising surgeons of any changes to schedule.
- Obtain applicable authorization for all scheduled surgeries.
- Orders special equipment for surgical procedures when necessary and assures equipment arrives for surgical case.
- Inventories and orders linens for surgery center as required.
- Maintains and uses office equipment properly.
- Performs other duties as requested/assigned.
Part 2: JOB REQUIREMENTS
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of medical office procedures including surgery procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of interrelationship of surgery scheduling with laboratory and radiology.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Skill in operating a computer, fax and copier
- Skill in answering the telephone in a pleasant, helpful and professional manner.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public.
- Highly organized with strong time-management skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Understanding of the insurance authorization process.
- Must be able to view and type on computer screens for long periods and to work in stressful environment
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time
- Must be able to stand and stoop as needed
- Must be able to lift and carry office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds
- High comfort level working in a diverse environment
- Requires hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary for operating office equipment.
- Requires hearing in normal acuity range and eyesight correctable to 20/20.
- Requires ability to work quickly and accurately, and in high stress situations with patients who may be confused, nervous and/or irritated.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, SPECIAL TRAINING:
- High School diploma or GED
- Post high school education preferred
- Two years’ experience in surgery scheduling or medical authorizations required.
- Two years’ experience in a medical office setting
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Experience with EHR system in a medical setting
- Word processing and computer skills
- PC compatible computer
- Multi-line phone